How effective is numbing cream for tattoos?18 April 2021
There’s something very exciting about getting a tattoo, but there’s no doubt about it – it can be a painful experience too. If you’ve arranged your next inking session but are now worried about experiencing too much pain, you’re probably wondering if numbing cream could be effective in reducing the pain of getting a tattoo.
There are some people who believe that enduring the pain of getting a tattoo is just a rite of passage that must be gone through. But there are many more who would just rather have a pleasant, pain-free experience while also getting the body art of their dreams. For this reason, numbing creams have been launched on the market, and so long as you pick a trustworthy and reliable brand such as TKTX tattoo numbing cream, you’re sure to find that applying it to the area to be inked is the perfect way of enjoying pain-free tattooing!
How Is Numbing Cream Effective?
A numbing product works by adding active ingredients to their components. Chemicals like lidocaine are added to temporarily deaden all the nerves under the skin and keen them from registering pain. Nerve blockers like benzocaine or tetracaine are also added. These stop the nerves from being able to send any pain signals to your brain. Typically, numbing creams also include vasoconstrictors like epinephrine. These work by constricting the blood vessels and reducing bleeding. They also slow down absorption and this means that if they’ve combined with lidocaine and benzocaine or tetracaine, the effect lasts for longer.
How Is Numbing Cream Used?
The good news is that it’s surprisingly simple to use numbing cream to relieve the pain and discomfort of getting a tattoo:
- First, around 30 minutes before the tattooing session is ready to begin, wash the area of skin which will be tattooed using water and soap. This will remove the dead skin cells and oil before you apply the anaesthetic cream.
- After washing the skin, put a hot towel over the area and leave for 5 minutes.
- Dry the area to be inked completely.
- Once the skin is dry, apply numbing cream in a thick layer onto the skin that will be inked. Make sure the cream is thoroughly rubbed in.
- Add a second layer of cream to the same area measuring about 1/8” or 2-3mm in thickness.
- Take some plastic wrap and cover the layer of cream to keep it warm. Heat will activate the cream and stop it from becoming dried out.
- Leave for half an hour then wipe away the product from the surface of your skin unless the tattoo will be covering a very large area. If this is the case, only remove small sections of the cream at a time as your procedure progresses.
- Typically, you’ll find your skin remains numb for about 3 – 5 hours following removal of the product. Nevertheless, this depends on which area of your body you’re treating and also your individual skin type.
Can Anything Stop Numbing Creams From Working?
Some people worry that numbing creams may not be effective, but there’s nothing to worry about so long as you select a high-quality product such as TKTX tattoo numbing cream. Of course, you should always take the time to read the application instructions provided in the packaging thoroughly to ensure that you get the best possible result. If you follow the instructions carefully, you will experience no discomfort at all during tattooing and you’ll enjoy all the benefits of having had a completely pain-free inking experience while creating a truly gorgeous piece of body art.